Now that I'm pregnant with my second baby, I have come to realize that Emmy isn't such a baby anymore. Breaks my heart. So with growing up comes with having a big girl room.
I've been looking at pictures for inspiration and trying to figure out what style I like for her. I've learned that I do NOT like kiddish stuff. No bright flowers and polka dots, no disney themes and definitely no princess themes. I want Emery to have a room to grow in and something I won't have to really change until she's much older and wants a certain style herself. But I'm hoping that won't be until we are in our own home and she's like a pre-teen/teenager.
I really adore the shabby chic style but just not so shabby. I'm normally a dark wood fan but for little girls I really like the white wood or mirrored look. I'm really into pastels and whites and lace or frilly but not over the top frilly.
My inspiration stemmed from a photo I found from Houzz and although it's for a nursery, I fell in love.
So after I found this little gem of a picture, I knew right away what I wanted for Emery.
I knew that I wasn't about to go and buy another crib and furniture for the new baby because Emery's nursery furniture was still in perfect condition and all black which is gender neutral. If the baby turns out to be a boy, the only thing I would really have to purchase is bedding and maybe a different colored cubicle bookcase like I have for Emery's in pink. If the baby is a girl, the nursery will not change.
I created an inspiration collage for the big girl room and although a lot of pieces are WAYYYY too expensive, it's the look I'm going for. I'm hoping I can find something close to it.
1. Hayworth Dresser: This item I do plan on purchasing. It's one of the focal points to the room and I just love how classy it looks.
2. Upholstered, Tufted Headboard: I won't buy one if I don't have to. I'm hoping I can make a project with my dad and make one for not only her bedroom but my own as well.
3. White Georgina Bedding: This is still on the fence. I LOVE this bedding so much. It's pricy though. I'm hoping I can find a cheaper knock off. Sheesh...just for a twin bed it's practically the same price for a queen.
4. Scentsy Warmer: I don't have any scentsy products in my home yet but I plan to. My best friend introduced me to hers and they smell amazing. Plus I like they are plugged in and don't use tea lights.
5. White Mirrored Nightstand: I think this one will be a real toughy for me. I'm hoping I can find something like this nightstand but I think if I can find just a pretty white one I will be just as happy.
6. Beaded Lamp: I already have this lamp in Emery's nursery so I will just switch it into her big girl room. I love this lamp, it's very pretty in real life and looks like an elegant chandelier.
7. Crate and Barrel White Curtains: These are the same curtains from the inspiration nursery picture posted above. They are pricy for two so again, I'm hoping for a knock off. Something white but still blocks out the light.
8. White Bookcase: This will be what her books, TV and Wii will be placed on. Maybe even a couple baskets (not posted) with some toys or something. I'm still brainstorming.
9. 32" TV: This will more than likely be one of the last purchases. Not even Matt and I have a TV in our room. I won't be putting Direct TV in her room but she will have access to Netflix and movies with the Wii.
10. White shag/fur rug: Pretty self explanatory.
11. Pink Ruffle Throw Blanket: I would love to drape this over her chair for looks and comfort. Plus it gives the room just a hint of color against all the white.
12. Tufted, Upholstered Chair: I want to put this in the corner with the blanket draped over. Possibly have a nice basket full of books she (or we) are currently reading or toys near it.
13. Full Length Mirror: This girl is vain. She adores looking at herself in the mirror any chance she gets and maybe that's my fault. ("Kiss the baby, Emmy. Can you kiss that pretty baby?") All girls need a full length mirror somewhere in their home and my baby girl needs one in her room.
14. Flowers in a Vase: A bedroom needs something pretty and for a little girl, flowers in a vase is it! I love the look of peonies or roses. Plus it also gives a nice pop of color.
15. Art work: I chose something soft in color and nothing wild. I'm going for the slight shabby chic so maybe soft pink rose art work above the upholstered chair might work. I did find a pretty ballerina artwork I liked that was also soft pink during one of my google searches but dumb me forgot to save it. I'm still searching for it.
So that is Emery Raine's big girl room! I can't wait to get things for it and thankfully I still have a bit of time because for now, she will still stay in the nursery, sleeping in her crib, even when the new addition arrives. I plan on co-sleeping until about 6 months or so. I just need to start transitioning Emery to a twin bed in the next couple months.


No comments:
Post a Comment